It’s time to start thinking about promoting HEALTHY nutrition at your organization. With all of the diet trends surrounding us each and every day…we need to ground ourselves in solid foundational nutritional principles.
Here are some foundational principles we can focus on:
- Eat foods as close to their natural state as possible
- Increase your consumption of vegetables and fruits
- Consume water to stay hydrated
- Reduce your consumption of sugar – especially added and processed sugars
- Increase your fiber intake
- Use food to fuel your physical not emotional needs
Action happens when we develop and implement specific strategies for change. Here are a few suggestions:
- Plan and prep your meals. Don’t have time? There are so many resources for planning, prepping and shopping you can utilize. Find what works best for you.
- Make half your meal fruits and/or vegetables.
- Measure out your portions. Rather than focusing on measuring every day, do a check-in on items that we tend to underestimate our portion size such as cereals, rices, pastas. Weigh or measure the item and place in your serving dishes to get an eyeball of what the portion looks like. Prepackage snacks in serving size containers.
- Track your food. Find a system that works for you. It is not always necessary to track every item you consume, try tracking your fruits and vegetables for a good start. Increasing healthy habits often decreases habits that may not be beneficial for our health.
- Get accountability! Participate in a support group, create a challenge with friends, family or co-workers, or get a wellness coach.